January 20, 2020: Southern Boone School District Insider

Southern Boone School District Insider

The Inside Information of Things Happening in Central Office 

January 20, 2020

Christopher Felmlee, Superintendent of Schools

Board Meeting Highlights

January 13, 2020  

This is a summary of the larger items that the board approved.  Additional information on the district’s board meetings can be found at, https://simbli.eboardsolutions.com/SB_Meetings/ViewMeeting.aspx?S=37&MID=7325

The meeting was a longer meeting than unusual however we had a lot to cover. Overall, it was great meeting with rich discussion! 

• Enrollment: Our kindergarten through twelfth grade enrollment picked up to an all time high of 1809.08! 
  • Construction Update: The two story primary addition is developing nicely. The masons are working on the matching the brick veneer. The heating and cooling systems (HVAC) duct work is being installed. The pipefitters are working on the sprinkler system. We had a HUGE crane on site for several days working on the second story roof. The roof is almost complete.    

Learning Garden classroom construction has started! We will see the transformation happen quickly through the month of January. This is very exciting and a great addition to the Learning Garden program! 

I discussed with the members of the board the 2021 no tax increase bond issue. This bond will focus on the facility needs of the middle school. I discussed the importance of using our remaining 2018 and 2019 bond funds to prepay the design of the middle school addition in order to speed up the timeline on the project. Essentially, we can speed up the construction by having the bid documents composed and out to bid before the April 2021 election. Once the no tax increase bond issue passes, the board can meet the following week and award contracts for construction to start as soon as school lets out for the summer. Prepaying the design phase will speed the project up by a year. I look forward to working with the middle school administration and teachers to design an exciting addition that will bridge the middle school buildings, connecting them under one roof!

Also related to the middle school bond issue is the construction of a new maintenance facility by the central office area. The existing maintenance facility needs a new roof and is not cost effective to replace. Also, the building is in the way of heavy construction equipment needed for the building addition. Construction on this is scheduled for July 2020.     

• Middle School Athletics: Expansion of Boys and Girls Wrestling into the MiddleSchool: This will be voted on during the February 18 board meeting. The cost to include this program into the middle school will be minimal as we can use the high school wrestling equipment. This is a great opportunity for our middle school students and allow more students to participate in additional after school activities.    
  • Discussion of a partnership with Ranken Technical College: I have been working closely with the members of the board and the Southern Boone Economic Development Council to develop a partnership with Ranken Technical College, out of St. Louis. The college is interested in partnering with the school district to establish a satellite campus in Southern Boone School District. This program would offer careers to students and adults in the Mid Missouri region. I have been working closely with the Lincoln County School District, Troy, who just recently entered into a partnership with Ranken. I am trying to replicate their model with their partnership with Ranken.

It is my expectation to work with regional economic organizations such as Mid MO Regional Planning Commission and the Regional Economic Development, Inc, to compose a federal grant to pay for the majority and ultimately the entire cost of the project. 

On Wednesday, January 29, I will host a meeting with regional business and Ranken to discuss the educational model and the important role that they will play in the development of curriculum and educational programs. The Ranken model is very different from traditional educational programs. The Ranken model requires 2000 hours of practical experience on the job site learning the job as a result of doing the job under close guidance. Therefore it is critical businesses are committed to the educational program for this type of model to work. 

I am hopeful that this meeting will bring us a step closer toward the partnership and result in the opportunity for our high school students to graduate high school with advanced certifications and degrees that will offer them outstanding careers.

• Discussion on Opaa! Food Services:  I had a discussion with the members of the board on a proposed contract amendment to our food service agreement. I asked the board to table a vote on the matter to allow me to investigate the amendment with our district’s attorney.               

The next school board meeting is scheduled for February 13, at 6:30pm in the new central office board room. The meeting is open to the public. The administrative team, members of the board and I welcome you to attend! 

The February 13 agenda items include review of the superintendent and principals contracts for employment or extension, approve the district’s food service contract, summer school approval, adopt school calendar, report on the district positive behavior supports program,  graduate follow up and early graduates, quarterly report on student drug testing, update to the board on outstanding lunch accounts and a communication arts program evaluation.  

District Projects and Meetings 

There are several projects I am working on to improve the district as well as foster better relations with our community partners. Here is a brief look at a few of these items.

• 2020-2021 District Calendar: I have scheduled meetings with the staff and public to review and revise the 2020 2021 Academic Calendar on Tuesday February 4, starting at 3:30 in the central office and on Thursday, February 6, at 5:30, in the central office.  You can view the proposed draft calendar at, 2020 2021 Draft SoBoCo Calendar 1.22.2020 .   

• Members of the Community Running for the Three Open Seats on the Board of Education: Please join me in welcoming Ashlee Vaughn, Amy Begemann, Tiffany Clevenger and Neal Lines, as well as our incumbents, Dawn Sapp and Kevin Schupp as they run for the board of education. On March 30, in the High School auditorium starting at 7pm there will be a Candidate Forum for the city council, mayor and board of education. This event is being sponsored by the Southern Boone Chamber and Economic Development Council.     

Thank you!

I hope this newsletter was insightful to the inner workings of the School District. We have A LOT going on everyday! We have amazing programs due to your leadership occuring in every building, classroom and facility! Thank you for your leadership and for inspiring our youth and each other! We have a great team in our community, our members of the board of education, administration, teachers and staff. Thank you for allowing me to play a part in this! 

Respectfully,

Christopher Felmlee

Superintendent of Schools